This was my inspiration picture. I wanted some large (inexpensive) art for my dining room, and I love the symbolism of trees.
This was originally from JCPenny, but it was no longer available for sale, so I decided to make it myself.
- 3 canvases (mine are 15″x30″; JoAnn Fabrics has them 40% most of the time)
- Grey paint (used from a different project; eggshell finish)
- White acrylic paint (or white wall paint)
- Small art paint brushes
- A pencil, an eraser, and a large paint brush
Here’s what I did:
1. I painted the three canvases grey and let them dry overnight.
2. I set all three next to each other (as they would hang on the wall) on a table and stated sketching my tree design in pencil. I printed out the inspiration picture and just drew freehand–no one would know if it didn’t look exactly like it.
3. Once I was content with my pencil sketch, I started painting with the white acrylic. The acrylic paint took probably 3-4 coats. If you want to speed this process up, use a white wall paint instead–that would probably only take 2 coats.
4. Let it dry.
5. When it’s completely dry, you can use the grey paint to cover any errant pencil marks not covered by the white paint.
Here is how mine turned out:
And a close up of some of the branches